Swedish Per Störby Jutbring has produced and composed 14 albums, toured the world with his band New Tide Orquesta, he has made pop hits as Zeigeist and Pearl Fiction composed music for a wide array of media including TV, film, theatre-plays and dance performances, composed for choir and made pop and electro. His solo music style has it’s fundament in post classicism, the blend of classic orchestration and contemporary electronics, drawing on minimalism.
With the core of his music in a field that has become referred to as ”post-classic” or ”neo-classic”, the Swedish composer, multi-instrumentalist and producer Per Störby Jutbrings works cover a range between minimalistic chamber music to electronic pop, with lots of experience within choir, jazz, world, baroque, electronic and free improvisation, among others. His solo recordings has a minimalistic style, in which the piano carries a distinct identity throughout and via compositions and improvisations evoke eloquent stillness.
Störby Jutbring has toured extensively all over the world and his work has been presented at venues like National Grand Theatre in Beijing, Contemporary Arts Center in New Orleans, Festival Internacional de Inverno in Brazil, among others. In 2013 Störby Jutbring was awarded composer of the year by SKAP – The Swedish Society of Songwriters, Composers and Authors. He have also been supported yearly by the Swedish Arts Council and Swedish Arts Grants Committee among others.
Born and raised in the small town of Falkenberg by the sea on the west coast of Sweden, he later moved to Gothenburg, lived for a while in Berlin and is nowadays based in Stockholm. He learned piano at age 10 and studied jazz piano, improvisation and ensemble. 1996 he started the highly acclaimed chamber ensemble New Tango Orquesta, nowadays New Tide Orquesta, in which he compose all music and plays the tricky and rare instrument Bandoneon. They have released eight albums, toured and performed all around the world, participated in a lot of TV- and radio shows, and joined dance performances.
Störby Jutbring also started the artist collective Zeigeist, with an intention to mix art, music, fashion, theatre and design within the context of pop culture. He produced and composed electronic pop tracks and 2007 Zeigeist released the album The Jade Motel , 2 EPs and some singles. The leaked demo of his ”Tar Heart” were placed on Pitchforks list The Top 100 Tracks of 2006. They produced some remarkable arty performances, with gigantic snow bubbles, squirting blood, confetti and stages wrapped in plastic etc. When the group split up, Störby Jutbring, who made all the music in Zeigeist, continued with his next electronic project Pearl Fiction and released the album Painted Wolf and some singles, via his own label Bibbi Records in collaboration with SONY..
During his engagement in the groups, he have also composed for theatre, and have been working with Stockholm City Theatre and Swedish National Theatre among others. He have also made music for films such as The Academy Award winning Searching For Sugarman, Crystal Bear awarded My Skinny Sister (aka Min lilla syster), among others, and for TV and radio. He have been collaborating with other artists within the range of Swedish legends Povel Ramel and Sven-Bertil Taube to extraordinary pop acts Laleh, and The Sound Of Arrows. He also appears as a musician and singer on numerous albums.
Recently Störby Jutbring joined forces with the innovative American choreographer Sidra Bell and her Brooklyn based company Sidra Bell Dance New York, which resulted in the multidisciplinary show ”Mönster Outside”, which premiered november 2017 at Contemporary Arts Centre New Orleans and toured in USA and Sweden 2018-19.
• Per learned piano from age 10 and studied improvisation and jazz piano at the folk high school in Skurup.
• Per is playing several instruments, including the tricky Bandoneon – the small accordion-like ”box” with nearly as many notes as on two pianos but placed randomly on two sides, one for each hand.
• PSJ has released 14 albums, 1 EP, 10 singles and 2 books with sheet music.
• The DANCE OF THE DIAPER FAIRY video – shot, directed and edited by PSJ, and featuring his first born in a dolls house – won the prize “Video of the year 2014” at the Swedish Manifest gala.
• PSJ had a ”music gallery” in Gothenburg, together with Lisa Nordström from Midaircondo, where once visiting touring musicians made workshops.
• PSJ has contributed as a composer, producer, remixer and musician on about 50 albums and singles, and taken part in around 50 different theatre-plays, composed music for approx 30.
• PSJ has performed as a musician/singer with Frida Hyvönen, Mattias Alkberg, Erik Enocksson, Juvelen, Niki And The Dove, Povel Ramel, Sven-Bertil Taube, Midaircondo, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Dalasinfoniettan, Bohuslän Big Band among others.
• New Tide Orquesta has released 8 albums and 1 book with sheet music.
• Married to the Swedish TV/Radio host Kitty Störby Jutbring; together they have three kids: Nikki-Lo, Kimmi-Kid and Jim-Jim.
• Living in Stockholm, Sweden.